Wednesday 11 July 2012

Rune and Luke - Without Him








Another week another Wednesday. Here is your latest installment of Rune and Luke. The prompt I used this weeks was... Without you I would be...

“Don’t be ridiculous, Rune. You were never afraid of me. You were too rebellious to have been afraid of me.”
“Really? You truly think I’d have done those things, been with you all these years if I hadn’t been too scared to walk away?”
“You did those things because you loved them and you stayed with me because you’d be nothing without me.”
“Nothing? Nothing without you? Without you I would be dancing right now. Without you I’d be happy. Well, I’ve got news for you. I am  happy and I am dancing. I’m going to dance with the band again and we’re going to make it this time because I won’t have you like a stone around my neck. I’m going to make it with Luke, too. He cares for me, Rio, truly cares for me, something you never did.”
“I care for you.” Rio started to pace. It was something he did when he wasn’t sure what else to do. Rune smiled. He had him rattled, but that was dangerous. He’d have to be careful. Still standing with his back to the wall his arms folded Rune watched him. “I’ve always cared for you. Haven’t I always given you everything you wanted?”
“No, Rio. No you haven’t. All you’ve given me is pain. Don’t you understand? I hated every moment I was with you. I was scared and disgusted and horrified but I had nowhere else to go. Now I have somewhere to go. I have Luke. He loves me. He truly loves me and I’m not going to let him down by going back with you.”
Rune was shaking now. It was partly because of the look in Rio’s eyes but partly, too because he was angry. “Get back in the car, Rio. Get back in the car and drive out of my life because I don’t want you in it anymore.”
Rio moved like lightening and, before he knew what was happening, Rune doubled over, gasping from a blow to his solar plexus. Already battered and bruised from Rio’s previous abuse, it felt as if every bone in his body was screaming at him and he couldn’t catch a breath. Rio hauled him upright by the hair and pressed him against the wall, holding him there with his body.
“Ungrateful little bitch,” Rio hissed. “How dare you, after everything I’ve done for you. Well. Let me tell you this. I will never leave you alone never. You’re mine, do you understand? Mine.”
“Fuck you,” Rune gasped, pushing ineffectively at Rio’s chest. “Get away from me. Get out of my head and out of my life.”
“Never,” Rio hissed.
“Oh really?” Suddenly, a wave of anger washed over Rune, so strong it forced him into action. “Get your hands off me, you bastard,” he yelled and spat in Rio’s face. When Rio pulled back with shock, Rune took his advantage and twisted away from him. Rune was no fighter, but he was a dancer and it wasn’t hard to dodge when Rio lunged at him.
Rune felt as if he was in a bubble that isolated him from the rest of the world, from help. But he didn’t need help, not this time.
Rio lunged again and this time Rune didn’t try to stop him. Instead, he brought up his knee, catching Rio squarely in the groin and dropped him like a stone. Rune kicked him over onto his back and put a foot on his chest, pushing him back every time he tried to get up.
“Like I was saying, Rio I’m not afraid of you and I’m not going to be a victim anymore. You hurt me, Rio, hurt me in so many ways and if you come anywhere near me again I’m going to pay you back for every bruise, every lash and, especially every bone you’ve broken. I swear to God, Rio, if I have to I’ll kill you.”
“But… but you love me. You’ve always loved me.”
“Maybe in the very beginning I did, but for as long as I can remember I’ve hated you but been too afraid to do anything about it. You had me mesmerised, hooked on you like a drug addict but I’m over it now. I feel clean and the touch of your hand dirties me. I’m not going to have it anymore. So just get up, get in the car and get out of my life.”
“But, Rune…”
“Get out of my life Rio.”
Rune took away his foot and backed up, allowing Rio to get to his feet.
“You’re nothing without me,” Rio spat. “You’ll never make it on your own and Luke won’t be around forever. Once he knows how sick you are he’ll be out the door and where will you be then? You’ll come crawling back to me. You always do.”
“No, Rio, you’re the one who keeps coming back. I’m perfectly fine without you. And as for Luke… maybe he’ll stay with me, maybe not, but if I have to I’ll do okay alone. I’ve been alone, Rio. You keep leaving me alone, coming back when you want someone to abuse. No more. You’re out of my life for good. Live with it.”
Before Rio could say or do a thing, Rune turned, walked back into the house and closed the door. As soon as he did so he turned and slowly slid down to sit on the floor, his back to the door. His ribs hurt, his lungs burned and his head ached. He felt he should be crying but there were no tears left, not for Rio. In fact he didn’t want to cry at all, he wanted to laugh. He’d been so scared and now…
He jumped when Rio started to hammer on the door, but that was just because he was startled. He wasn’t scared anymore. Rio was out of his life and he’d do just fine without him.



Now head over and take a look at these wonderful flashers for their awesome stories.

Pender Mackie    m/m
MA Church     m/m
Tali      m/m
Elyzabeth VaLey      m/f
MC Houle     m/m

4 comments:

  1. I really loved this chapter. It's so affirming and I truly believe Rune has conquered his demons, or at least those that come in the shape of Rio. Rio's confusion comes through loud and clear, too. Abusers get so stunned when the doormats they once abused actually fight back. This is good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes, that's what I thought. Rio just can't understand a) that Rune hated what he was doing to him and was scared of him and b that he actually wants him out of his life. He he. Serve him right. Better not come back now Rune's on the warpath.

      Delete
  2. Yay Rune! It gave me such a thrill to see Rune stand up for himself!

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it gave me a real thrill to write it too.

      Delete